Panama Hat and Hat Case Care
CARING FOR YOUR BELLA BLU PANAMA HAT
Bella Blu Panama Hats are made of toquilla straw and are hand woven and hand blocked in Ecuador. They are works of artisanal art that can be enjoyed and admired for a lifetime, if well looked after.
Proper care not only keeps a hat clean and looking good, it is essential for extending its life.
HANDLING YOUR PANAMA:
It is best to pick the hat up by the brim or by cupping the inside of the crown with an open palm. Try not to pinch the front of the crown if it is a fedora as this is what causes the front to crack.
SUN HAT, NOT A RAIN HAT:
Avoid wearing your hat in heavy rain or submerging it in water as it may lose its shape. If it does get wet use a clean white cloth to gently pat it dry, fold out the inner band to allow quicker drying and then leave it to dry somewhere where it can air dry naturally in a cool, dry place.
If your hat has lost it's shape, follow the reshaping guide below.
STORING YOUR PANAMA:
Ideally store your hat away from direct sunlight and upside-down, so the crown is facing down, in a hat case so that the crown is not touching the base. Buy Now
As your hat is made from natural fibres, ensure it stays dry in humid climates. You can do this by ensuring your hat is stored with dehumidifiers.
RESHAPING YOUR PANAMA HAT:
If your Panama becomes misshapen you can easily reshape it by lightly steaming it and then moulding it with your hands. Here is how to do it:
1. Hold your Panama over a boiling kettle or pot of water for about 30 seconds, letting the steam permeate the hat inside and out. This makes your hat warm and soft and enables the reshaping process. As steam is very hot wear oven mitts to avoid getting burnt.
2. After steaming carefully start kneading the hat using your hands and fingers to shape the crown and brim into the desired positions.
3. Once you are happy with the style leave the hat to air dry.
4. You can repeat this process to get the desired effect, making sure you avoid over saturation by enabling the hat to dry between reshaping attempts.
RESHAPING THE BRIM OF A PANAMA HAT:
To reshape the brim you can use the steam method, mentioned above, on just the brim area you want to shape, or you can iron it under a slightly damp cloth with the iron at a medium to low setting (high heat iron settings can cause burn marks to the hat) to get just the right bend or style you are seeking.
DRY OR BRIGHT CONDITIONS:
Do not leave your hat in very dry or bright locations as it might become too dry and brittle. If this happens you can finely spray it with clean water to moisturise it or put your hat in the bathroom while you shower to return it to its original flexibility.
Avoid oils, inks or cream or any other semi-permanents likely to stain your Panama hat
CLEANING YOUR PANAMA:
If your hat gets dirty or stained, clean it as quickly as possible so it doesn’t get absorbed into the fibre. To clean it simply follow the guide below:
- Gently wipe the stain with a pencil eraser or with a white cloth that is lightly dampened with soapy water; then wipe it dry with a white towel. The coloured hats are designed to fade nicely over the years. So, if this is a coloured hat be sure to clean it like this all over so that the hat appearance will not change. This should remove most marks although care should be taken not to rub too hard.
- You can clean your cotton grosgrain inner band with a white cloth that is dampened with soapy water, making sure the band is kept well away from the straw. Leave the inner band to air dry turned out from the hat so it is well away from the straw.
- Do not use chemical cleaners as they may stain and cause discolouration.
TRAVELING WITH YOUR PANAMA:
The best way to travel with your Panama hat, or indeed a few of your hats, is to use a Hat Case. See below for details or check out our Bella Blu Hat Case information page.
If in doubt, please just drop us a line at email@example.com and we can guide you on the latest techniques and tricks for keeping your original Bella Blu hat in tip top shape.
CARING FOR YOUR BELLA BLU HAT CASE
The Bella Blu Hat Case was designed to provide you with a robust and versatile way to carry and store your Bella Blu hats in style. That's why it is lightweight, durable, collapsible and able to hold its shape well, delivering you both function and style.
You can keep the hat case looking good with a regular spot clean with a light sponge with a mild, non-biological detergent solution in water, wiped down with a water-dampened cloth. Use another dry soft cloth to wipe it down and leave it to air dry. Do not use any bleach to clean or heat to dry.
When storing your hat case, with hats inside, the best way to store it is to lie it on the crown, so the hats will be upside-down.
Never store it in a plastic bag as it traps moisture and can lead to mildew.
For those times when your hat case is fully collapsed, it is best to store the crown and base inserts flat, or you can wind the base insert into a round bundle.
Please Click here for more images